Weekly Training Report: March 31st – April 6th

Mar 31 - Apr 6

Monday – 3.40 Miles

My original plan was to do my longer run for the week because it was also the warmest day of the week. But as soon as I started running I knew it was not going to happen. The wind going south was insanely brutal. In fact, whenever I was running into the wind it was so bad that I had tears streaming down my face because the wind was making my eyes water THAT much. Hopefully no one that I passed thought something was seriously wrong… It was nice being able to run in a t-shirt for the first time since… September though.

Tuesday – 4.01 Miles

I thought about going for the longer run again but the wind was brutal again… so I decided against it. It was a lot colder and the wind certainly did not help. Overall it was a good run. Now I am just waiting eagerly for all of the water fountains to be turned back on. I really HATE running with water.

Wednesday – 3.32 Miles

It was one of those days where I did and didn’t want to run. It was VERY cold and VERY windy (again). I was going over to my friends after the run but the weather put my in a mood to not run, but when she didn’t respond to my texts (she was vacuuming so didn’t hear her phone) about coming over earlier, I decided to just bite the bullet and run. Cops were all over the park because Obama was in town and would be heading to a fund raiser in LP. Towards the end of the my run I started to worry that if the motorcade came through before I got home that I might be stopped from the crossing the street. This would have been an issue because I was dressed to RUN in the cold… not stand at a cross-walk for who knows how long. Luckily, I made it home before the motorcade came through.

Thursday – Rest

I toyed with the idea of going for a run… and in hindsight, it might have been good idea. But it was damp and chilly and windy. Have we noticed a pattern for the weather this week yet? I had zero desire to battle the wind again. Instead, I opted to do laundry. So at least I was mildly productive.

Friday – Rest

Again with the wind… I really hate the wind. I decided to take the day for rest knowing that I would do my longer run the following day. So I ate pizza and watched TV.

Saturday – 6.64 Miles

I had 6.50 miles slated for the day. I ate a big breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast and then went to the grocery store. I was nervous about doing my longer run on a weekend. It has been quite some time where I have done a longer run on the weekend (when it wasn’t a race). But the weather was pretty ideal. It was sunny and though there was wind, it wasn’t nearly as bad as it had been. Knowing I would need to run with two water bottles, I opted for a jacket with two pockets and headed out. I had previously mapped out a course but decided to change it while running. Heading south there was a definite head wind so I decided to do as much of the run as possible heading south first then turn around to go north. It ended up being a good plan and I ran farther south than I ever had before. There were a ton of people out on the LFT and I felt amazing for the entire run. I kept waiting for the GI Issue to rear its ugly head but it never did… so apparently scrambled eggs and toast are the key. It really was a great run and I felt great throughout the entire thing. When I got home, I checked my watch (like always) to see my overall pace and was SHOCKED to see 10:34. My 6 miler had been closer to 11:00 so I assumed this run would also be closer to 11:00 (if not over). Really couldn’t have asked for a better run.

Sunday – 4.01 Miles

I woke up hungover. The night before, my best friend and I went out for a girls night out. I knew drinking after a 6.50 mile run wouldn’t be smart because I am lightweight when I don’t run then drink. But it has been ages since she and I went out and so I had two drinks… and proceeded to be very drunk. We ate some food while out and I was drinking water but my stomach felt so full that I was finding it difficult to drink more water. Needless to say, the hangover was NOT a surprise. I was feeling sort of better after breakfast but I kept putting off the run. Mostly in hopes that downing water would help. Eventually, I knew if I didn’t go for my run, there would be no run. So I headed out. I went 2 miles south and then turned back north. There was a headwind going south and I really just hated the run. I was miserable throughout the entire run. I also drastically overdressed which really didn’t help. My stomach was pretty unhappy with me too. I somehow gritted out the 4 miles though. I have no one to blame but myself, I choose to have to those two drinks. And really, I had so much fun so I guess it was worth it.


The week of training was made difficult by all of the wind but I hit a HUGE milestone. It is the first 20 mile week that I have had since early October 2010. Yes – 2010. That is not a typo.

I have a 7 miler on tap for my longer run this week and it will have to be during the week since I have the Race to Wrigley 5K race on Saturday. The official countdown to Boston has begun!

Don’t forget to enter my giveaway for the Michelob Ultra 13.1 & 5K race. The giveaway ends tonight and I will announce the winner tomorrow.


2 thoughts on “Weekly Training Report: March 31st – April 6th

  1. I don’t know why, but for some reason I get absolutely infuriated when it’s windy. i mean, i know it’s normal to be annoyed or frustrated but I feel like the wind is being so windy as a personal insult and I get straight up ANGRY! I was in MD for my run Saturday and besides just dealing with hills that I don’t see in Chicago, the wind was also brutal. so I feel ya on that one!

    • Yep! Totally agree! And of course on Monday, Tuesday AND Wednesday, it felt like no matter what direction I was running it was INTO the wind. Which is definitely part of the reason why I bailed Thursday and Friday even though I had originally planned to run.

      Saturday and Sunday there was definitely wind but it was only in one direction… thank goodness.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s