Training: January 6th – 12th

Jan 6-12

Monday – Rest

In case you missed it, Chicago was held hostage by the ‘Polar Vortex’ and yes, it was COLD. While a lot of my friends were able to work from home or just flat out did not have work due to the extreme temperatures, I had to go into work. After all, the markets were still open. The actual temperature was -12 and the wind chill was in the -30 to -40 range. I survived my trek to and from work with LOTS of layers… 3 pairs of socks, 3 pairs of pants, 3 tops including a top layer running jacket, a ski mask, a hat, a scarf and the warmest boots, gloves and jacket I own. The morning commute into work wasn’t all that bad… probably because I was sweating so much from all the layers inside my home before I left. The commute home was a tad more chilly after sitting by a cold window at work all day. Though my gym was open and I could have gone there straight from work, I would have had no choice but to walk home after the gym… Yea… That was NOT going to happen. Frost Bite is not a good look

Tuesday – Rest

I really WANTED to go to the gym but it was still bitterly cold. I was still in ALL of my layers to get to/from work. So yea, that whole walking home from the gym thing wasn’t going to happen again. I did wish for a treadmill throughout the day though… I wanted to run.

Wednesday – 2.00 Miles & Leg Day

We got a heat wave… the high reached something like 14 degrees… and it FELT warm. Everyone was talking about how nice it was outside. And the best part, I was able to ditch the multitude of layers. I brought my gym stuff to work and headed straight for the gym after work. All in all it was a decent run. Which I expected since I just had two days off. Then I hit the weight area for a solid lower body strength training session.

Thursday – 2.00 Miles & Upper Body Strength Training

Ugh… This run was terrible. Not only is the track ‘closed’ because the DePaul track team needs it until 4:30 pm… although, I resent that I wasn’t able to run laps when 95% of the track team was standing around talking and I wasn’t using any of the lanes the track team was. So I sat there for 15 minutes and watched a total of 6 people use only the outermost lane (I typically use the second lane) while everyone else stood on the track and talked…. I was a tad peeved. At 4:30 on the dot I started my run and I just wasn’t entirely feeling it. I knew right away that it was going to be one of those days. After a mile I stopped for water. Then I stopped again at 1.50 miles… and I had to stop again at 1.75 miles. It was not pretty. I somehow managed to finish but it sucked. Then I hit the weights for some upper body strength training.

Friday – Rest

I knew I would have to go to the grocery store on the way because I wouldn’t have time on Saturday. It was POURING rain when I left work. And I was hungry… and it is always dangerous to go to the grocery store hungry. After getting what I would need for the week, I went to wait for the bus… and I waited and waited… about 15 minutes later two buses pull up… grrrr… hate when that happens. Finally get home near 5:30 and know that I want to get to bed on the early side because I have a race the next day. I start that internal debate…. I REALLY do not want to hike it to the gym in the pouring rain. I also know that even though I should strength train, doing so will mean getting home later than I want to. I also still need to do the whole dinner thing (frozen pizza since it was the night before a race). So I decided to skip it. Which means only 4 running days this week…. grrrr… stupid weather… I wished for a treadmill at home again…

Saturday – Polar Dash 5K Race

You can read my full re-cap here. It wasn’t a TERRIBLE race… but it was hardly good either. I knew going into the race to not expect much and to not run for time. So I didn’t worry about it. It was damp and chilly and we all had wet feet by the end. Eric and I headed home right after the race. I proceeded to take a two hour nap before I had to shower to meet co-workers for a drink. I then headed to Twin Anchors for Eric’s Birthday dinner. After that we went to a dive bar (which I really liked) and hung out there for a couple of hours. I was exhausted after that so headed home. Busy but fun day.

Sunday – 1.50 Miles & Lower Body Strength Training

Yea… so this run also sucked. I tried to push it but my body just was not going to have it. I was having lady issues and so I threw in the towel… my body got the best of me… I couldn’t force that last half mile. In all honesty, it has been quite a while since I have had some really bad runs, so, I guess I was due. I did, however, get in a solid lower body strength training session.


It was an ok week. As much as I wanted that 5th running day, it just wasn’t in the cards. The weather was just awful last week and talk about extremes… Holy moly.

Ideally I want to get on a Monday – Friday training schedule and reserve Saturday for cross-training and then have Sunday be a rest day… or probably more accurately… a “be a bum day”. This week I am planning to throw in an extra day of running to make up for the day I missed last week. Looks like a pretty quiet week overall so it shouldn’t be an issue.

2 thoughts on “Training: January 6th – 12th

  1. Haha it’s so funny that 14 degrees felt so warm! Then again, when it hit 40 on Saturday, the bf and I went out to lunch only wearing hoodies, having left our winter coats at home. Come October, when it starts to get down to 40, we’ll all be complaining about how cold it is 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s